On this site in 1853 Turpin & Yarborough Tobacco Company constructed parts of this building as a tobacco factory, one of five tobacco factories in Richmond at the time. Upon the outbreak of the American Civil War the building was leased and used by the Confederate Troops of the State of Alabama as a military hospital. A staff of three surgeons managed the care of over 3,700 wounded soldiers until the hospital closed on Halloween night 1863. In 1865 the Turpin & Yarborough Tobacco Company resumed operations until the sale of the property in 1909. Pohlig Bros. Inc. converted the site to a paper box factory that remained in continuous operation until relocating in 1992. After a decade of various uses the site was developed and renovated by Stanley Shield LLC into residential units and retail space. The project won the ACORN Golden Hammer Award for the best large-scale commercial renovation of 2004.